Established on 24th Feb, 1975 Mahila Arthik Vikas Mahamandal (MAVIM) is a groundbreaking initiative undertaken by the Government of Maharashtra. MAVIM is under aegis of the Women and Child Welfare Department and is the State’s ‘Women Development Corporation’, registered under Companies Act, Section 8A as an NPO.
The mission of the Corporation is ‘To bring about gender justice and equality for women, investing in human capital and the capacity building of women, thus making them economically and socially empowered and enabling them to access sustainable livelihoods.’
The goal is to establish social, economic, and political justice for women through Sustainable Development.
- To build the overall capacities of women
- To enhance self-confidence of women
- To promote entrepreneurial development of women
- To synchronize employment opportunities & market linkages
- To promote women’s rights to equal opportunities, prosperity, and participation in Governance.
- To build grassroots institutions for SHGs as a way forward to sustainable development.
- To act as a state-level nodal agency to implement various women-empowerment schemes by the Central and State Government.
- To act as a bridge between the concerned departments of the government, financial institutions, NGOs, and self-help groups to better achieve inclusive development.
MAVIM is implementing development programs in all 36
districts of Maharashtra, including the Mumbai suburban
areas, 250 Urban Local Bodies (ULBs), and rural areas
across the state. The MAVIM Headquarters is based in
Mumbai and the organization has offices in every district
to implement developmental schemes in rural areas